- 7 ounce(s) 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar
- 4 ounce(s) Milk Chocolate Baking Bar
- 1 tablespoon(s) instant freeze-dried coffee
- 3 tablespoon(s) boiling water
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup(s) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt (optional)
- 2 cup(s) heavy whipping cream for frosting
- 1 tablespoon(s) instant freeze-dried coffee for frosting
- 1/4 cup(s) boiling water for frosting
Melt 6 ounces of the bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler over hot, but not boiling, water. Stir occasionally until the chocolate is smooth. Set aside. Dissolve the 1 T coffee in boiling water; set aside. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottom of the pans with waxed paper, and grease the waxed paper.
In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. With the mixer running, gradually add 1/3-cup sugar. Increase the mixing speed to high and continue beating until stiff peaks form. (The meringue should be shiny.) In another large bowl, whip the yolks, the remaining 1/3-cup sugar, and the salt until thick and lemon colored, approximately 5 minutes. Slowly add 6 ounces of chocolate and 1 Tbsp coffee; beat until well blended. Gently fold ¼ of the egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it. Carefully but thoroughly fold in the remaining whites until no streaks remain. Pour the batter into the prepared pans. Bake on the center oven rack for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the cake inside for 5 minutes with the oven door closed. Transfer the pans to a wire rack (the centers will fall). Remove the waxed paper while the cake is warm. Cool completely.