Monday, January 17, 2011

Gluten free Flour Tortillas

Gluten-Free Flour Tortillas
  • 4  cups gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
  • 3 teaspoon xanthan gum
  • 4 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cup warm water
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • enough milk to make it come together in ball in mixer
Mix all of your ingredients together. I like to mix the dry ones together first to make sure they're all blended. I use my kitchen aid. Then take your blob and divide it into 32 parts. Place them in a large bowl and cover with saran wrap until you're ready to roll them out. Roll out a ball at a time on a floured butcher block. Use a spatula to scrape off the dough if it sticks and add a little more flour to the rolling pin, if necessary. Gluten-free flour can be a sticky beast, so be patient, and just keep working with it until you're comfortable.
When the tortillas are rolled out, place them on a heated griddle (I use my big pancake one so I can cook 3 at a time). I keep the temperature at around 355 degrees and keep them on there until bubbles form. Then flip and wait for the tortilla to be ready.
I feed these to my husband and kids all the time. It makes burritos a gourmet feast that everyone loves. There is nothing so delicious as freshly made tortillas. Serve them with melted butter and salt. Use them for sandwich wraps. Have fun and enjoy. I promise this one is easy and will be a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment